Translate

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Float and to Fly

It's like standing on the edge of a pool,
with the rubber of your sneakers hanging over the concrete edge.
Moonlight reflecting in the solemn waves.

Never before has the water seemed so appealing.
To be engulfed in its chilling but somehow soothing grasp
would be learning to float and to fly.


--Disclaimer: I'm a terrible swimmer. I frequently find myself using my fear of swimming as a comparison to other fears I have. Unfortunately, when I write about it it can be easily misinterpreted to have suicidal tie-ins. This is not my intention, but for those who may themselves have suicidal thoughts, remember that it is always better to float and to fly.--

2 comments:

  1. Im pretty sure you're always going to float. I mean if you don't end up building a whole ship and sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very visual and symbolic... I liked the style of writing, even though I perceived it as being rather dark... which suits me fine...

    This is the mental image I had while reading this... I was looking down at the tips of my shoes, hanging over the edge of a body of water...
    Then in the second verse I imagine jumping in and succumbing to certain death, at this point “floating” evokes a mental image of a lifeless body... floating face down in the water / dead, yet at peace: and “flying” representing escape... redemption... the ultimate state of freedom... ascension...

    I would have ended it differently, by presenting a choice to “float” / die, or “fly” / live... I would not have equated the two... But that's just me...

    But I enjoyed it... It made me think... I like that...

    I thought it might be useful if I gave you an honest interpretation of what your writing meant to me, and how it made me feel... How I interpreted it...

    Good job!!! Looking forward to reading more!!!

    ReplyDelete