Translate

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

And Then Came Rain

      Rain and I never really played well together.
Whenever we saw each other I always ended up getting frustrated.
      He had always just been a whimpering wet blanket to my day.

            I saw the gray sky moping this morning and breathed an anticipatory sigh.

      But today was different. 
Maybe since we are older he decided to behave himself.
      Or maybe we are both just a little more mature now.

            He allowed me to walk to class without disturbance.

      He even waited until a roof was between me and him before he made his presence official.
The first step I took outside after class, though, immediately caused me to scowl.
      He was here.

            I was wrong.

      He had come in quick whispers, and had left the same way.
I saw the signs of him everywhere.
      I was again skeptical of his seemingly good intentions when I saw puddles.

            I braced myself for the chafing of wet socks.

      And again I was put to ease. 
The standing water was just shallow enough to not reach over the rubber of my soles.
      Just deep enough to gently splash my ankles with warm water at each step.

            Rain allowed me to have some space today. 
            I admit I was pleasantly surprised.
            I might even admit to him some day that I enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment